Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Book Review: The Fountainhead, by Ayn Rand

Finally. I'm done with The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand. If I said that it was an easy read, I would be lying. I'm a pretty impatient person, but I was determined to read it all the way through before picking up my next book. And I did. And it was glorious! I loved this book. It was nearly 700 pages long, and it took me nearly two months to read.

The characters are all so complicated. I fell in love with most of them, hated a few, and wanted to know why they did what they did. Dominique Francon and Howard Roark were the center of the the story, the characters that I wanted to know more about. It had a love story in it, but it was mostly about ideals. Egotism versus altruism. Very interesting. It made me want to be an egotist!

Architecture is what the book wanted me to think it was about, but it was so much more than that. It was the story of a man who was independent to an extreme, and about how that was his downfall and his ticket to success.

After spending two months with these characters, I am a little sad that it's over. What happened to Dominique, Gail, Peter, and Howard? I am planning on renting the movie based on the book now.

Up next: Her Fearful Symmetry by Audrey Niffeneger.

No comments:

Post a Comment