Thursday, November 19, 2009

"real" food?

I'm starting to enjoy "real" food more and more. By "real" I mean no "high-fiber" "reduced fat" "fat free" or "light" products. That's right, I am eating bagels with cream cheese spread on them, and the cream cheese is not "fat free" or even "reduced fat". I have found that eating these full fat cheeses and yogurts keeps me full longer. It's amazing how long it took me to learn that. I would eat 5 or 6 slices of fat free cheese with "light" bread, and still be hungry. A piece of 100% whole grain bread with a slice of "real" cheese will keep me full for hours. I'm to the point where I'm starting to think about nutrition, but gently. That's what intuitive eating is about; the book briefly focuses on "gentle nutrition".

I am still enjoying my doritos and poptarts, but they are no longer the only thing I eat. I have added vegetables back into my diet, and whole grain bread, and chicken! I've discovered that a bagel or a waffle with a spreading of peanut butter will keep me full for several hours, and pop tarts will only satisfy for a couple. Therefore, pop tarts are something that I will eat occasionally, not every day. And baby carrots with some "real" dressing will satisfy my craving for something crunchy and also give me something with real nutritional value, unlike doritos. So, I'm learning. And I'm losing weight, which is amazing.

No deprivation... eating everything in moderation... things that seem like common sense, but just never have been for me, until now.

No comments:

Post a Comment