Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Intuitive Eating, Day One

Today is day one of my intuitive eating study. Basically, I eat what I want, when I want, always. The only trick is that I can only eat when I'm truly hungry, and must stop eating as soon as I'm satisfied. It's pretty exciting for me, it feels like true freedom. I'm still going to incorporate WW into this, trying to get in the GHGs and everything like that, but no more counting points. (this is an experiment, so if I gain on this or feel unhealthy in any way, I will go back to counting points).

When I woke up, I wasn't hungry. I drank my coffee with some milk, grabbed some poptarts for when I did get hungry, and was off to work. Usually I would inhale the poptarts/cereal/yogurt and fruit as soon as I woke up, hungry or not. Or eat it quickly in the car on the way to work. Today I realized that I was just not hungry when I woke up. I ate one poptart, slowly, around 10:30. This was after drinking a lot of water and making sure that I was really hungry. It was very satisfying and I ended up being able to put the second pop tart down... huge accomplishment for me!!!

At 12:30, it was time for lunch. I ate a wrap with some cheese and deli slices in it. One wrap, and I was satisfied. Okay, it was only two hours since I ate breakfast, but still, big accomplishment for me. Usually it would be two wraps and some triscuits, because I had the points for it. Or a lean cuisine with an entire bag of ff popcorn, again, because I had the points for it.

I am planning on going to the gym right after work for at least thirty minutes. Dinner will have to include a lot of GHGs, since I haven't been hungry for those yet, except the dairy and lean protein. Oh wait, deli slices don't count as lean protein, do they? Hmmm... Anyway, I'm not sure what dinner will be, but it will be delicious and nutritious!!!

So far the best part of eating this way is that I haven't been bloated and/or overstuffed all day. Usually I have a tummy ache after my big lunch. Not today! I feel satisfied. And if I get hungry before work is over, I have that second pop tart, which I will eat without guilt. I will let you know how this intuitive eating affects my weight on Monday.

BTW, this is all advice from the book "Intuitive Eating" by Evelyen Tribole and Elyse Resch. Great book for people who have issues with binge and/or emotional eating, like me.

No comments:

Post a Comment